Amber Rudd Resigns (1 Viewer)

Amber Rudd has resigned as home secretary, saying she "inadvertently misled" MPs over targets for removing illegal immigrants.

The Windrush scandal had heaped pressure on Ms Rudd, who faced renewed criticism after saying she did not know about Home Office removals targets.

Her successor is expected to be announced within hours by Theresa May, who was "very sorry" to see Ms Rudd go.

Shadow home secretary Diane Abbott said Ms Rudd had "done the right thing".

Ms Abbott added that the "architect of this crisis" - the prime minister - must come before the Commons to explain "whether she knew that Amber Rudd was misleading Parliament and the public last week".

Ms Rudd told MPs last week the Home Office did not have targets for removing illegal immigrants, but on Sunday the Guardian published a letter in which Ms Rudd set out her "ambitious but deliverable" aim to deport 10% more illegal immigrants over the "next few years" to Theresa May.

Ms Rudd is the fourth person forced to resign from the cabinet in the last six months - following Sir Michael Fallon, Priti Patel and Damian Green.

Ms Rudd, who had been due to make a Commons statement on Monday afternoon, telephoned the prime minister on Sunday evening to tell her of the decision amid intensifying opposition demands for her to quit.

In her resignation letter, Ms Rudd said she took "full responsibility" for the fact she was not aware of "information provided to (her) office which makes mention of targets".

In response, Mrs May said she believed Ms Rudd had given her evidence to the Commons "in good faith" but that she understood her decision to resign and take "responsibility for inadvertently misleading the home affairs select committee".

She should "take great pride" in what she achieved at the Home Office, Mrs May added.
She was an incompetent Home Secretary who has fallen on her sword. She has been replaced by Sajid Javid.

Undoubtedly had to go, but still feels like a convenient scapegoat for the Prime Minister.

I disliked her from the moment she was on the TV Brexit debates. A horrible, shouty, strident gob. Good riddance.

It has always amazed me how a person can be put in charge of an office that they have no true experience of.

Sure I understand that there are civil servants and advisors to the ministers but still, I would rather have someone who has spent many years working in a department to run it rather than someone who is there due to a reshuffle.