General Battlefield 5 News and Discussion (1 Viewer)

I was a bit suspicious when they seemed to have some significant changes that were only surfacing a week prior to a public beta and 5 weeks from the original launch date. But better to have a working game on release and not a botched mess requiring patch after patch.

When does the Battlefield 5 beta start?
The Battlefield 5 beta test is split into two phases, but both will take place on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. The first phase is available only to players who pre-ordered the game.

This early access stage kicks off Tuesday, September 4 on all platforms. Then, on Thursday, September 6, the beta opens up for everyone else.

For start and end times in regions other than Europe and North America, click the link in the respective section.

Battlefield 5 Open Beta Early Access Start time
  • Tuesday, September 4: 1am PT, 4am ET, 9am BST, 10am CET
Battlefield 5 Open Beta start time (everyone)
  • Thursday, September 6: 1am PT, 4am ET, 9am BST, 10am CET
Battlefield 5 Open Beta end times
  • Tuesday, September 11: 7am PT, 10am ET, 3pm BST, 4pm CET
How to get into the Battlefield 5 beta
The Battlefield 5 open beta will be available to all players. If you want to get in two days early, however, you have a couple of options. Assuming you don’t get a free early access code (these are sometimes distributed), the most straightforward way of playing early is pre-ordering Battlefield 5.

If you pre-order at retail, your receipt should have a beta key you can enter on PSN, Xbox Live, or Origin. If it was a digital pre-order, you will be able to grab the beta client as soon as it’s available without needing to do anything extra.

On Xbox One, you can subscribe to EA Access to gain access to the beta early. The same is true for PC, where you can subscribe to either Origin Access, or Origin Access Premier to be able to play on September 4.

Can you pre-load the Battlefield 5 beta?
Yes, the Battlefield 5 beta will be available to pre-load starting Monday, September 3. This is when the client will be available to download on PC through Origin, and on the Xbox, and PlayStation stores.

Do keep in mind, however, that sometimes PS4, and Xbox One stores take longer to update and put the beta page live, so don’t fret if you don’t see it the very second it goes live.

Battlefield 5 Open Beta Pre-load Times
  • Monday, September 3: 1am PT, 4am ET, 9am BST, 10am CET
For pre-load start times in regions other than Europe and North America, click the link the respective link.

How big is the Battlefield 5 beta?
DICE did not reveal the final download size for the Battlefield 5 beta. This will become clearer as soon as the pre-load becomes available.

For reference, the closed alpha was a little over 10GB. Considering the amount of content (more on that below) in the beta, the download is probably going to be bigger.

Is PlayStation Plus/Xbox Live Gold required to play the Battlefield 5 beta?
Xbox One players will need an internet connection and an Xbox Live Gold account to play the Battlefield 5 Open Beta.

For PlayStation 4, all owners connected to the internet can get in on the action. In other words, no PS Plus required.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.vg247.com%2Fcurrent%2F2018%2F08%2Fopenbeta-blogpost-1-web.jpg.adapt_.crop16x9.1455w-1152x648.jpg&hash=53424efcc1ef5ba1abae0d6e41f75c49

What kind of content will the Battlefield 5 beta have?
Both the closed alpha’s Arctic Fjord, and the Rotterdam maps will be available in 64-player Conquest. And, like the alpha, two days of Grand Operations will be available on Arctic Fjord, also for 64 players.

The first day will see players airdropping in at night to destroy AA guns. Based on their performance in Airborne, the number of spawn tickets available on the next day will change. The second stage is a Breakthrough fight in daylight.

Players will also take to pre-war Rotterdam for Conquest mode. Returning to classic rules, Conquest is a 64-player fight where two teams fight for control over key flags on the map. Hold the majority of these points to drain the opposition’s score and win the day.

Tides of War, Battlefield 5’s ever-evolving meta narrative and live server component, will also be present in the beta. This short preview will consist of a five-part chapter.

The Battlefield 5 beta, which starts this week, is an updated build of the game, full of new features and fixes compared to the closed alpha.

The Battlefield 5 beta, however, will not include every feature DICE promised or showed for the game. As part of a massive set of patch notes, DICE revealed some of the features that will be available in the full game at some point, but not during this week’s beta.

Notably, being able to drag teammate bodies to safety, limb penetration, and getting credit when you cause falling debris to kill an enemy player are just some of them. There are, however, other bigger changes on the way.

Based on feedback, DICE said it’s planning a revamp of the way aim assist works on consoles. The developer intends to take out snap-to-target completely and replace it with a more granular aim assist curve.

One other requested feature is creating reason for airplanes to disengage and resupply. Although a basic implementation of this is already in the game (the floating resupply icons), the planned airplane resupply mechanic will be a little more nuanced.

Pilots will have to fly close to a sky hook on the ground, found near the edges of the map. Doing this will require a bit of finesse and piloting skill, much more than floating resupply zones currently require, and certainly reminiscent of classic Battlefield titles.

The squad reinforcements feature, one of many new additions in Battlefield 5, is being expanded on. Offensive call-ins like rockets will reward all squad members with assist score when they result in dead enemies.

In order to encourage players to use call-in vehicles, squad members will be given points for deploying in said vehicle. They’ll also be rewarded whenever the squad leader calls in a vehicle to begin with.

All of that won’t be available in this week’s beta, but we do hope it makes the game’s launch now that the release date has been pushed back.

DICE has dropped a hot new trailer for Battlefield 5 that not only shares a lot of details about what players can expect from the full game, but also confirms a few bits of information about the game’s battle royale mode.

Firestorm is what DICE is calling Battlefield 5’s version of the hugely popular battle royale mode. Firestorm supports a maximum of 64 players, and it sounds like it’s only going to be available to squads of four.

As you may have seen from the teaser at the end of the gamescom 2018 trailer, Firestorm will not be getting rid of destruction, vehicles or any of Battlefield’s sandbox elements. Today’s trailer sadly doesn’t have any new Firestorm footage, but DICE did confirm that the map will be the biggest in series history.

The rest of the trailer goes on to list the eight multiplayer modes that will be available at launch, and drops a few more teasers about the War Stories single-player campaign. Four self-contained stories will be available at launch: a prologue, Nordlys, Tirailleur, and Under No Flag. The Last Tiger, a fifth episode, will be added post launch.

View media item 130
Though the trailer doesn’t explicitly confirm the the number of multiplayer maps we’ll get to play at launch, it did reveal that we’ll be visiting eight “unexplored settings.” Post-launch, the Tides of War live service component will kick off, promising new locations.

Battlefield 5 developer DICE has confirmed a few key details about Firestorm, the game’s battle royale mode.

The Firestorm name itself was revealed in the recent "This is Battlefield trailer", but those who have been following Battlefield 5 trailers will remember the teaser with the encroaching ring of fire at the very end of the "the Company" trailer.

Firestorm is being developed by Criterion Games alongside DICE. Though it does retain some battle royale elements, some parts are more in common with traditional Battlefield than the last man standing mode.

Players will airdrop onto the biggest map in Battlefield history with no fixed loadout, and they’ll have to scavenge for weapons and supplies. But that’s not the only way to get gear, Firestorm will also feature Conquest-style objectives, some random and others recurring at fixed locations.

When claimed, you and your squad will be rewarded with rare and more powerful gear. The information doesn’t go into detail about how this particular aspect is going to work.

Firestorm is only available to four-player squads, and it supports up to 64 players in total just like a regular Battlefield multiplayer match. Tanks do make a return, but it’s not clear how players will be able to acquire them.

There are also other transport vehicles for all to use. Likewise, you can expect destruction to also make a difference in Firestorm compared to other battle royale modes.

Firestorm progression is tied to the main game’s Company – a player collection of soldiers, weapons, and vehicles which levels up alongside the player.

In today’s blog post, EA also revealed the Firestorm Ranger Set pre-order bonus. The set is inspired by Firestorm, but it can be used in any multiplayer mode.

It comes with custom goggles, light battle fatigues, and the MKIII(S) Elite Combat Dagger.

Creaky
Staff member

Creaky

Really enjoying the beat so far, looking forward to playing Firestorm in the gold version

The movement seems slower, which I like, but at the same time, the game seems chaotic.

The bleed-out thing is annoying. I'm dead, I can see I'm dead, why can't I just not respawn?

Whilst I wouldn't be the biggest battlefield fan, I am not really feeling the beta, I found it very sluggish to play, I won't be picking it up on release as it stands, maybe I actually miss the "modern warfare" of BF3 and BF4...I don't know.

The bleed-out thing is annoying. I'm dead, I can see I'm dead, why can't I just not respawn?
Yeah the hold to die or call out to get revived is a tad annoying.

Personally, I prefer Battlefield 3's online multilayer to anything that came since. This isn't bad. It's just no BF3. Feels like the series is miles apart now from where it was.

EA has revealed more details on Battlefield V's highly anticipated battle royale mode, Firestorm. Following the tidbits we learned from the game's latest trailer, the publisher has shared a blog post that provides further information on the mode and how it differs from other takes on the genre.

Unlike the main game, Firestorm isn't being developed by DICE, but by Criterion, the studio behind the Burnout series. True to its name, Firestorm drops players onto an expansive battlefield encircled by a ring of fire, which is continually closing in as the match progresses. As in other battle royale games, the objective is to scrounge for weapons and resources to defeat other players and be the last team remaining.

One notable area in which Firestorm differs from other battle royale games is its player count. Unlike PUBG and Fortnite, both of which pit 100 players against each other, Firestorm supports up to 64 players, who are divided up into teams of four. The mode also features destructible environments, as well as tanks and other transport vehicles that you can commandeer to battle other players.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.gamespot.com%2Fuploads%2Fscale_super%2F1578%2F15787979%2F3435299-9955586578-bfv-b.png&hash=7c2ec5a4f87df85e6547ff98bcade446

Additionally, Firestorm will offer its own set of challenges to complete during matches known as Objectives. EA says these will function similar to those in Conquest mode. Objectives will be dispersed at some fixed and random locations, and completing them will, in turn, unlock better gear during the match to give you an advantage over other teams.

On top of that, EA revealed a new pre-order bonus for Battlefield V. Players who reserve the title ahead of its release will receive the Firestorm Ranger Set, which includes goggles, light battle fatigues, and the MKIII(S) Elite Combat Dagger. While the set is inspired by Firestorm, EA says it will be usable across the game.

The new Battlefield 5 single-player trailer has been released.

DICE has released the single-player trailer for Battlefield 5, as promised.

The video shows both what appears to be cinematic cutscenes and story plots mixed with clips of gameplay.

Battlefield 5’s single-player campaign is called War Stories and the first stars a female resistance fighter in Norway.