WE ARE FORUM BANTER!!!
Talk about the things that matter to you!!
Howdy stranger!! It looks like you're new here.
If you want to get involved, click on the button below!
Join The Conversation

TV Chat Buffy The Vampire Slayer Reboot (1 Viewer)

Aimie
Staff member

Aimie

Today, 20:04
Apr 13, 2018
Taken from the Cancelled, Renewed and Newly Announced TV Shows thread

Buffy is being rebooted

Joss Whedon is developing a reboot of the series with 20th Century Fox!

According to Variety, Whedon will executive produce the series and will help develop it with writer Monica Owusu-Breen. The new series reboot will also see a black actress take over the title role, which was played in the series by Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Gail Berman, Joe Earley, Fran Kazui and Kaz Kazui will also executive produce the show. As for Breen's previous work, she worked on shows like Agents of SHIELD, Charmed, Alias, Brothers & Sisters, and Fringe. So, there is some solid TV talent working on developing the series.
Ok. This isn't just aimed at the Buffy reboot, but why do they keep doing this?

If you want to do a Buffy show, use different characters and change the name. Can then just say the show is inspired by Buffy. Buffy wasn't the first or last supernaturally powered character. So there is room for others.

By rebooting you will instantly have fans being against it. You will have comparisons being made. You will have to figure out if it's tied to the original or not. You will need to worry about how to keep old fans happy while getting new fans. I know they're trying to cash in on the name but it's not always a good idea.

By saying the show is inspired by Buffy, you get Buffy fans willing to check it out without judging it as harshly.

Most fans will likely tune in out of curiosity, but like I said, they'll be comparing the 2 leads and other elements.

This goes for other reboots as well. I guess Charmed would be the most recent.

Geezer
Staff member

Geezer

Apr 16, 2018
BTVS was brilliant and well ahead of its time in certain aspects. Angel in my opinion was even better. The comedy and dialogue in that were fantastic.

A Buffy reboot in this day and age is going to be agenda after agenda rammed down your throat with no bite (excuse the pun) so as not to offend the perpetually offended.

I'm gonna keep the original in my mind unless I hear absolutely mind-blowing things about any reboot.

Major Tom
Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member

Major Tom

Apr 1, 2018
Don’t understand the need for a reboot myself. I mean the whole story is just set up to continue with a new slayer already.

David76
Staff member

David76

Apr 7, 2018
They could have done a Buffy universe type show years ago and it would have run for years. Most people growing up nowadays have never seen the original so the reboot is aimed at them and will probably work.

Create an account or login for full access

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Posts

New Threads