Action Captain Marvel (2019)

Title: Captain Marvel (2019)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Ryan Fleck, Anna Boden

Cast: Brie Larson, Jude Law, Ben Mendelsohn, Samuel L. Jackson, Lee Pace, Djimon Hounsou, Gemma Chan, Clark Gregg, Mckenna Grace, Kenneth Mitchell, Colin Ford, Algenis Perez Soto, Lashana Lynch, Rune Temte, Robert Kazinsky, Raul Torres, Annette Bening, Ana Ayora, Adam Hart, Pete Ploszek, Clayton Chitty, Gastón Dalmau, Mel Powell, Connor Ryan, Damon O'Daniel, DJ Jenkins, DaJuan Rippy, Danny Wendt, Rayniel Rufino, Chuku Modu

Release: 2019-03-06

Plot: The story follows Carol Danvers as she becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races. Set in the 1990s, Captain Marvel is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

A magazine cover and some photos giving us our first look at the film including our first look at Brie Larson in the role of Captain Marvel have been released.

We've also got some new details on the film but first here's the synopsis:
The story follows Carol Danvers as she becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races. Set in the 1990s, 'Captain Marvel' is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
These are the additional details that were revealed:
Captain Marvel sidesteps the traditional origin-story template, and when it begins, Carol already has her powers. She’s left her earthly life behind to join an elite Kree military team called Starforce, led by Jude Law’s enigmatic commander.

But before long, Carol finds herself back on Earth with new questions about her past. And she’s got a formidable enemy in the form of the Skrulls — the notorious Marvel baddies made all the more dangerous by their shape-shifting abilities. Ben Mendelsohn plays their leader Talos, who spearheads a Skrull invasion of Earth.
CaptainMarvel.jpg

When talking about her character, Larson says:

She can’t help but be herself. She can be aggressive, and she can have a temper, and she can be a little invasive and in your face. She’s also quick to jump to things, which makes her amazing in battle because she’s the first one out there and doesn’t always wait for orders. But the [not] waiting for orders is, to some, a character flaw.
Captain Marvel is being directed by the writing/directing team of Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck. Boden had this to say about the character:
This is not a superhero who’s perfect or otherworldly or has some godlike connection. But what makes her special is just how human she is. She’s funny, but doesn’t always tell good jokes. And she can be headstrong and reckless and doesn’t always make the perfect decisions for herself. But at her core, she has so much heart and so much humanity — and all of its messiness.
Captain Marvel will be joined by Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury, only he'll be 20 years younger. The movie will also feature the return of Lee Pace and Djimon Hounsou as the Kree villain Ronan the Accuser and his henchman Korath the Pursuer from Guardians of the Galaxy. The movie also stars Clark Gregg, Jude Law, Gemma Chan and Lashana Lynch.

captainmarvel-ewfirstlook-photo1-full-700x467.jpg captainmarvel-ewfirstlook-photo2-700x467.jpg captainmarvel-ewfirstlook-photo3-700x467.jpg captainmarvel-ewfirstlook-photo4-700x467.jpg captainmarvel-ewfirstlook-photo6-700x467.jpg captainmarvel-ewfirstlook-photo8-700x467.jpg

I'm not really sure on the trailer, I just felt it was quite boring, to be honest

Jason
Staff member

Jason

Aside from the Blockbuster opening which I loved, the trailer doesn't really indicate the quality of the film. It could be great or rubbish - it is difficult to judge from that trailer.

Either way, I really looking forward to it.

I'm not really sure on the trailer, I just felt it was quite boring to be honest

I'm not really sure on the trailer, I just felt it was quite boring to be honest
I'd rather this and a subsequent brilliant film than the other way round. Remember Suicide Squad and that trailer with the Queen track......?

A second trailer has been released

Again, I thought it was pretty tame, but then again, in these days of trailers revealing pretty much every surprise, I'm hopeful they're keeping all the good stuff back.

Slenderman
Staff member

Slenderman

Today, 05:15
Nov 3, 2018
That second trailer is very underwhelming like I presumed the first trailer was deliberately underwhelming but the overall feel of Captain Marvel is very disappointing so far and I'm not sure what exactly is not working here but there's definitely something amiss

Connie
Staff member

Connie

I've liked Brie Larson in everything she's done but I gotta say she just looks like she's miscast here. There's none of the personality you normally see from a Marvel film in these trailers. Really hope it's just bad editing and they're saving the good stuff, because it would be a real shame if the first marvel female superhero movie tanked.

I'm thinking the reason that Larson looks like she has no personality is maybe that that's the way her character is supposed to be in the beginning. Her mind has been wiped and she's now some super soldier with no backstory. I would imagine as the film goes on and as she finds out more about her past she will get more into it.

Having said that the trailer doesn't look great.