Drama Darkest Hour (2017)

Title: Darkest Hour (2017)

Tagline: Never never never surrender

Genre: Drama, History

Director: Joe Wright

Cast: Gary Oldman, Kristin Scott Thomas, Lily James, Stephen Dillane, Ronald Pickup, Ben Mendelsohn, Nicholas Jones, Samuel West, David Schofield, Richard Lumsden, Malcolm Storry, Hilton McRae, Benjamin Whitrow, Joe Armstrong, Adrian Rawlins, David Bamber, David Strathairn, Jeremy Child, Brian Pettifer, Michael Gould, John Atterbury, Charley Palmer Rothwell, Hannah Steele, Philip Martin Brown, Nia Gwynne, Faye Marsay, Jordan Waller, Mary Antony, Bethany Muir, Anna Burnett, James Eeles, Roisin O'Neill, Joanna Neary, Flora Nicholson, Richard Glover, Paul Leonard, Eric MacLennan, Tom Ashley, Pip Torrens, Bronte Carmichael, Patsy Ferran

Release: 2017-11-22

Runtime: 125

Plot: A thrilling and inspiring true story begins on the eve of World War II as, within days of becoming Prime Minister of Great Britain, Winston Churchill must face one of his most turbulent and defining trials: exploring a negotiated peace treaty with Nazi Germany, or standing firm to fight for the ideals, liberty and freedom of a nation. As the unstoppable Nazi forces roll across Western Europe and the threat of invasion is imminent, and with an unprepared public, a skeptical King, and his own party plotting against him, Churchill must withstand his darkest hour, rally a nation, and attempt to change the course of world history.

Zidane
Staff member

Zidane

So I finally got around to seeing this and I was very disappointed. Oldman is quite good as Churchill but outside a few key scenes, the whole thing is unbelievably hammy and feels completely detached from reality - the experience is more like a play than a film.

Some shockingly bad dialogue throughout and that scene on the underground was absolutely cringe-inducing.

Maybe I expected too much given the warm critical response and Oscar-winning performance....but I'd really consider it average at best.

As a film, it wasn't great. However, Oldman's performance was excellent. It sort of reminded me of the other biopic of a British PM, The Iron Lady. That wasn't a great film but was saved by another virtuoso performance from Meryl Streep.