WE ARE FORUM BANTER!!!
Talk about the things that matter to you!!
Howdy stranger!! It looks like you're new here.
If you want to get involved, click on the button below!
Join The Conversation

Game Listing Dead Cells (Motion Twin) (1 Viewer)

Platform(s)
Xbox One, Playstation 4, PC, Nintendo Switch
Players
Co-op
No
Genre(s)
Action, Platform
Release Date
Aug 7, 2018
Developer
Motion Twin
Publisher
Motion Twin
ESRB Rating
Teen
PEGI Rating
Suitable for persons 16 and older.
Major Tom
Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member

Major Tom

Today, 15:36
Apr 1, 2018
Dead Cells is a rogue-lite, metroidvania hybrid video game developed and published by Motion Twin. Following about a year in early access, Dead Cells was released for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on August 7, 2018.

In the game, the player takes the role of a body of cells that take control of a corpse in a dungeon, through which they must fight their way out. The player gains various weapons, treasure and other tools through exploration of the procedurally-generated levels to fight undead creatures within it. At times, the player may gain "cells", a type of in-game currency that can be used to purchase permanent upgrades for the player if they reach a vendor near the end of each level. If they fail to reach this vendor before dying, they lose all the cells they gained and must start again.

The player controls a mass of cells that occupy and control the body of a deceased prisoner at the start of each game. As they explore a series of dungeons and fight the creatures within, they collect weapons, armour, abilities, power-ups, and money. Some enemies will also drop cells when defeated, which can be used to obtain permanent power-ups such as additional health potions or new items that can be bought or found in later runs. These cells can only be spent at the end of a dungeon section; if a player dies before then, they lose all collected cells.

Each level is procedurally generated by merging of predesigned sections in a random configuration along with random placement of enemies and items. At intervals throughout the game, the player must also defeat boss enemies known as "Keepers." Currently, there are four Keepers in the game—the Incomplete One, The Watcher, The Assassin, and The Hand of the King.

2947944-20170624092613_1.jpg ss_21c61aca6a66745a2abb3f72b93553398fc7fe32.600x338.jpg ss_b7cf2ca21fe3648c53f808b80393cc727815dcc5.600x338.jpg

Graphics Rating
4.00 star(s)
Story Rating
4.00 star(s)
Content Rating
4.00 star(s)
Difficulty Rating
5.00 star(s)
Gameplay Rating
4.00 star(s)
Major Tom

Major Tom

Apr 1, 2018
Been playing the Early Access for months now, quickly wormed its way into my regular schedule. The controls, fighting and pacing are razor sharp, and while it's a rock hard game it also feels empowering when moves and weapon combos roll right. It gets a little repetitive but then that's the games chief conceit.

Some Random Guy
Staff member

Some Random Guy

Apr 15, 2018
Been playing the Early Access for months now, quickly wormed its way into my regular schedule. The controls, fighting and pacing are razor sharp, and while it's a rock hard game it also feels empowering when moves and weapon combos roll right. It gets a little repetitive but then that's the games chief conceit.
When you say rock hard, what's a close comparison? I loved Guacamelee, Celeste, Super Meat Boy and Ori, but never gelled with Volgarr or Spelunky. This looks awesome but also a bit more chaotic than I usually like.

Major Tom

Major Tom

Apr 1, 2018
When you say rock hard, what's a close comparison? I loved Guacamelee, Celeste, Super Meat Boy and Ori, but never gelled with Volgarr or Spelunky. This looks awesome but also a bit more chaotic than I usually like.
It's punishing ala Celeste, insofar as you can die very easily; even the basic enemies can swarm you and it's not uncommon for a solid run to come crashing to a halt after a couple of bad timings of your roll/block. But it has that sweet spot where failure just encourages you to try again, another combo or skill stacking.

Bandit
Staff member Staff member

Bandit

Apr 3, 2018
I like but its ruined by its slow progression

Major Tom

Major Tom

Apr 1, 2018
I like but its ruined by its slow progression
Really? I’ve played for quite a few hours and I'm surprised at how generous it is keeping you moving upwards skill and items wise. Picked up quite a few handy permanent upgrades and unlocked a few notches on the old item ladder as well. I am not always convinced by rogue-like design as the repetition often gets to me sooner rather than later, but definitely wouldn’t consider this one to have slow progression by genre standards.

Bandit

Bandit

Apr 3, 2018
Really? I’ve played for quite a few hours and I'm surprised at how generous it is keeping you moving upwards skill and items wise. Picked up quite a few handy permanent upgrades and unlocked a few notches on the old item ladder as well. I am not always convinced by rogue-like design as the repetition often gets to me sooner rather than later, but definitely wouldn’t consider this one to have slow progression by genre standards.
Yeah really. I'm already off put by the amount each of the permanent upgrades cost. It would be good if you could travel back to the start of a level to spend all your stuff rather than marching onwards and inevitably dying due to lack of healing.

Some Random Guy
Staff member

Some Random Guy

Apr 15, 2018
I went ahead and bought this. I needn't have worried about the gameplay, it's right up my street! Combat is fast and fluid and the game just "feels" right. Thanks for the info @Major Tom

Yeah really. I'm already off put by the amount each of the permanent upgrades cost. It would be good if you could travel back to the start of a level to spend all your stuff rather than marching onwards and inevitably dying due to lack of healing.
That'd run completely contrary to the main gameplay loop though. Aggression and attacking enemies is rewarded with Cells, and getting to the end of the level lets you deposit them. Rinse repeat.

Bandit

Bandit

Apr 3, 2018
That'd run completely contrary to the main gameplay loop though. Aggression and attacking enemies is rewarded with Cells, and getting to the end of the level lets you deposit them. Rinse repeat.
Does it? Aggression gets you killed. There is an element of finesse required. This is not Doom 2016.

I can't upgrade an item at the very start after a reasonably long run. I have to do that run 3 times or so. I can only imagine the cost of items will go up. This doesn't appeal to me. I don't think that's that outrageous. I'd prefer a faster progression system if they're going to make me play the same thing over and over.

Major Tom

Major Tom

Apr 1, 2018
Well sounds like if you're cautiously inclined you should go for Purple builds (whose official name I forget) as there are bows, turrets and other distance-based loadouts. Or you can bypass enemies and get Cells via racing the Timed Doors, which IIRC many players prefer rather than fighting every monster on the level.

The repetition is kinda part of the loop so if you're impatient to get the best stuff sooner I guess the game won't appeal, but personally, I find the risk-reward curve quite fair. Different stokes n all.

Create an account or login for full access

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Posts

New Threads