General Dead Or Alive 6 (Koei Tecmo) (1 Viewer)

Koei Tecmo has announced a new instalment in the Dead or Alive fighting game series: Dead or Alive 6.

Dead or Alive 6 is in development for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. The game was revealed earlier by IGN.

Dead or Alive 6 will utilise a new engine, according to the site, with a focus on higher-fidelity visuals and more realistic facial expressions. The game will be 4K-ready, and will feature improved lighting.

The graphics overhaul will also allow for things like sweat and wounds to appear more prominently and realistically. Some of this can be seen in the first trailer and screenshots below.

According to IGN, the game’s core mechanics haven't changed. Interactive stages and many Dead or Alive characters will return, with Kasumi, Hayate, Hayabusa, Helena, Jann Lee, and Zack all confirmed to return.

View media item 52
dead_or_alive_6_reveal_screen_1.jpg dead_or_alive_6_reveal_screen_2.jpg dead_or_alive_6_reveal_screen_3.jpg dead_or_alive_6_reveal_screen_4.jpg dead_or_alive_6_reveal_screen_6.jpg dead_or_alive_6_reveal_screen_7.jpg

Gameplay-wise, Dead or Alive 6 is introducing a new combo and special systems called Fatal Rush, and Break Gauge.

The idea is that these will be simple to execute to make it easier for beginners to get into the game. It basically sounds like a version of auto combo systems we’ve seen in a few recent fighting games like Dragon Ball FighterZ, and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle.

More gameplay will be shown at E3 this weekend. In fact, the official site confirms more news on Monday, June 11.

Dead or Alive 6 will be released sometime in early 2019 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Dead or Alive 6 will tone down traditional sexualized elements, focusing on more practical costume designs and natural body physics.

The Dead or Alive series has been about sex appeal ever since it launched in 1996. In fact, it was intentional: Team Ninja believed that purposely being provocative would allow for a more entertaining product. So if you wondered why the breast physics of female characters bear little semblance to reality, that would be why.

Still, a lot has changed in twenty years, and it seems Team Ninja is ready to try something different. Dead or Alive 6 will feature a more realistic fighting style, complete with practical costumes and natural body physics.

To be clear, that’s not just referring to breast physics. Fighters will develop bruises while taking damage, and even sweat as each match progresses.

“I want to show how sweaty the fighters get as they fight, either female or male, it doesn’t matter,” game director Yohei Shimbori told Eurogamer. “They can really go to the extreme in their fighting and get injured. We want to show the damage as well.”

Costumes are being overhauled as well. Perhaps the most notable example is Kasumi, who has gone from an outrageously revealing outfit to a somewhat more realistic, skin-tight combat suit. Interestingly enough, Shimbori is building on a trend developing in the comic book industry.

“The reason I chose that costume is because I’m a fan of American comic books,” he continued. “When you look at American comics, they’re abandoning those classical costumes and becoming more functional, becoming more like fighters. They have certain materials they use for the costumes. I thought that was a wonderful idea and I wanted to follow that.”

As for breast physics, Shimbori has promised outrageous motions won’t go away entirely, but it will be less exaggerated. “We are trying to achieve some natural movement, so when you move, things move naturally. That’s our intention,” he explained. “This is a fighting game. We felt people were not looking at this as a pure fighting game. They were looking into something that was in the wrong direction. So, we wanted to make sure this is a fighting game first.”

The Dead or Alive 6 has a new trailer and release date. Koei Tecmo has now confirmed a worldwide launch of February 15 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

The latest trailer for Koei Tecmo’s upcoming fighter is one of spectacle, reintroducing old fighters and an electrifying new arena.

Dead or Alive 6 developer Team Ninja has revealed that British assassin Christie is the latest character to join in the furious fisticuffs.