Gaming Chit Chat E3 2018 - Rumours, News and Discussion (1 Viewer)

E3 2018 is just around the corner, so here’s everything you need to know about video games’ biggest event of the year.

For the second year in a row, E3 is open to the public as well as press, but we’ll be there, in amongst it all, to bring you the biggest and best stories from the show floor.

Before that happens, though, here’s what we know about who’s going and what they are likely showing.

E3 2018 runs from June 12-14 in Los Angeles. As is becoming increasingly normal, some of the biggest publishers have opted to not show off their reveals during the show, instead making an event of their own from nearby. Here’s a rundown of what and when.

E3 2018 Conference Dates and Times

With many of the big players opting for their own shows, E3 extends well beyond the two days of the main convention. Here are the ones we know about so far.

EA: June 9 – 2:00pm ET – 7:00pm BST
Bethesda: June 10 – 9:30pm ET / June 11 – 2:30am BST
Microsoft: June 10 – 4:00pm ET / 9:00pm BST
Ubisoft: June 11 – 4:00pm ET / 9:00pm BST
Nintendo: June 12 – 12:00pm ET / 5:00pm BST

E3 2018 Games

We don’t have a confirmed list of games that will be shown at E3 2018, but we can make some educated guesses for games we already know about. Click any game below for more info on each.

Here’s a sampling of what to expect:
  • Crackdown 3
  • The Last of Us: Part Two
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Days Gone
  • Spider-Man
  • Battlefield 5
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  • The Division 2
  • Splinter Cell
  • Anthem
  • Death Stranding
  • Borderlands 3
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Shenmue 3
  • Final Fantasy VII: Remake
  • Prey (DLC)
  • Insurgency: Sandstorm

There’ll be a lot of E3 2018 games overall, but what has Microsoft got planned for Xbox One?

Some things are almost certain, like Crackdown 3 for example. But other stuff is more open. Will the rumoured Fable 4 make an appearance? We know Cyberpunk 2077 will be shown in some way this year, but will it be on Microsoft's stage?

Xbox One E3 confirmed games

Crackdown 3

Currently, Crackdown 3 is Microsoft’s biggest game - a first party exclusive and a chance to really show what the Xbox One X can do. It’s currently got a very general ‘Fall 2018’ release date, having originally been delayed from 2016 and then rescheduled as an Xbox One X launch title in 2017. It’s evolved a lot over that time with changes to a cloud-based physics system that were meant to offer citywide destruction, which leads to separation of its single player and multiplayer components. After the delays and alterations expect Microsoft to make a big fuss, and feature this predominantly as the next big Xbox release.

Forza Horizon 4

While not officially stated outright, Forza Horizon 4, has been accidentally confirmed thanks to the head of Xbox in Spain and Portugal, Fernanda Delgado, who accidentally said in an interview, “there have been many speculations about where the next Forza Horizon will be and that is what we will tell later at E3.” The game’s existence has also been backed up by a leaked Brazillian rating for the game which suggests it’s nearing release - Microsoft might be about to pull a ‘and you can buy it now’ style surprise. Another rumour surrounding the game is that it could be set in the UK after a bunch of British cars were found in an April update to Forza 7. Previously, Forza 6 added a selection of Australian cars, mirroring the then to be announced Forza Horizon 3 setting.

Sea of Thieves

Okay, it's already out, but as an online game with long-term ambitions expect to see both Microsoft and Rare making big promises for the future. Whether it’s a full-on expansion, or a more organic evolution of content and features - especially after generally warm reviews all criticised its lack of content. We already know about the first few updates - The Hungering Deep, Cursed Sails and Forsaken Shores - but expect some larger scale plans to be revealed.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

As an Xbox exclusive, this is all but a given at this year’s show, following the announcement last year. Expect to see more of its Metroidvania gameplay explained and, given it’s a first-party Xbox One Enhanced game, expect the fantasy led visuals to push the pretty as hard as it possibly can.

Something from Capcom

While we don’t know what yet, Capcom has one listing for an Xbox One “Action/Adventure” game on the official E3 Expo site. The only other listings under that genre are for PC and Nintendo Switch. Xbox boss Phil Spencer has been tweeting about working with Japanese developers, and JRPs in general so that could be a clue where this is going. But Capcom also has that Resident Evil 2 Remake in production and there's likely a Resident Evil 8 on the way after the success of Resi 7.

Xbox One E3 likely games

Anthem

After making its big reveal at Microsoft's 2017 E3 show expect the multiplatform Anthem game to return. It’s an EA title so also on PS4 and PC, but Microsoft used it as a showcase for the power of Xbox One X and we’ve not seen much more since. Expect more gameplay at Microsoft’s E3 show as we see more of the Destiny-like co-op shooter in action.

Metro Exodus

The latest Metro game was revealed at last year’s Xbox E3 show as another demonstration of Xbox One X’s power. That time we got little more than a teaser and a sizzle reel so expect a deeper dive this time explaining more about Metro Exodus’ post-apocalyptic shooter world. It is a multiformat game, but one that Microsoft clearly want to claim as their own so expect a continuation of last year’s prominent placement.

Fable

Don’t expect too see much, but multiple industry sources have pointed to UK developer Playground, better known for the Forza Horizon game series, working on a new Fable. The game is reported to be early in development, hence unlikely have much to show, but a CG announcement could be very likely indeed. Rumours suggest Fable 4 will continue the series’ fairytale RPG stylings and be developed by a newly set up Playground studio that’s been staffing up this year to enter full production.

Xbox One E3 Wildcard games

Cyberpunk 2077

There are a lot of rumours floating around that Cyberpunk 2077 will be at E3 2018 in a big way. Developer CD Projekt Red is simply saying it hasn’t announced anything yet, rather than issuing an outright confirmation or denial. The Witcher 2 was a big game for Xbox so the two have a had a good relationship in the past, and levering a little Xbox conference attention to boost a new IP’s profile would be a sensible move for the studio.

Remedy’s Project 7

After two Xbox exclusives with Alan Wake and Quantum Break, Remedy’s next game, codenamed Project 7, is going multiformat with publisher 505. It’s definitely being revealed at this year’s E3 though, and given the studio’s friendship with Microsoft, there’s no reason why it couldn’t push its new game out under the main conference spotlight. All we know so far is that Project 7 will be some sort of cinematic third-person action title, which is basically what Remedy does best.

Borderlands 3

We know it’s coming - from Gearbox studio head Randy Pitchford’s twitter chats with Elon Musk about including his Boring Company Flamethrower in Borderlands 3, to a PAX West panel comment from Pitchford that most of the Gearbox studio is “working on the thing I think most of you guys want us to be working on.” So, yeah, it’s coming and an MS reveal seems like a good combination. There had been rumours that Gearbox and Microsoft had signed a deal for advertising but that’s currently unsubstantiated.

Halo 6

343 has said they’re working on it, so it exists, but it’s also said to now expect to hear about it for “quite some time” according to 343's Jeff Easterling. Just in case you’re not convinced Easterling clarified that if we do hear anything about Halo 6 “it won’t be soon”. But that doesn’t mean MS couldn’t sneak out some sort of teaser if it really wanted an add a little bang to the show.

Sony will host its E3 2018 presentation the Monday before E3 as usual, and it seems the firm is taking a different approach to the show this year.

The Sony E3 2018 presentation will take place on Monday, June 11 at 6pm PDT, 9pm EDT, 2am BST (June 12).

This is according to what Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shawn Layden said during the latest PlayStation Blogcast.

Listening to the podcast, it doesn’t appear Sony’s presentation will feature the usual bombardment of announcements.

Instead, the firm has decided to “refresh and remake” its show. Layden said to expect “deep dives” into PS4-partner exclusives Death Stranding, and the highly anticipated Spider-Man. A look at how each partnership game is progressing will be provided, so expect plenty of new information and visual eye-candy.

Layden said the company will still spotlight first-party, in-house titles such as Sucker Punch’s Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us Part 2. Like the aforementioned, expect a look at each game’s progress and a “better understanding” of where Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch are going with the title.

After the podcast went live, Sony updated its PlayStation Blogs with confirmation of dates, and the deep dives on Death Stranding, Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us Part 2.

“This year will feature exclusive looks and deep dives four of our big titles,” said Layden. “I think everyone will be thrilled to see it. We’re taking a different angle on how we’re bringing it out.”

Bethesda seems to be preparing quite the show for E3 2018.

Bethesda already confirmed that its E3 showcase will return this year, taking place on Monday, June 10.

Bethesda’s E3 shows have typically been packed ever since the publishers started hosting its own conference a few years ago. This year’s showcase, however, may be the biggest yet.

The publisher’s Global marketing executive, Pete Hines, shared this little tidbit on Twitter yesterday. “We have a lot to show you this year. Might be our longest E3 Showcase ever? Not sure, but it’s packed,” Hines said.

Bethesda is home to many big studios whose games players always look forward to. What’s next from the Fallout team, the Doom team, the Wolfenstein team is something we want to know.

Here's a more detailed schedule

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fea0pXMf.png%3F1&hash=3525d161bbfe85cd8644201ed73b837e

Cyberpunk is the big one as far as I'm concerned.

Would love to hear about Elder Scrolls VI (been 7 years since Skyrim after all), but sounds like it won't be there.

Devolver Digital is returning to E3 this year, and has kindly apologised in advance.

The indie publisher made its E3 debut last year, and broadcast a heck of a pre-show that poked fun at the video game industry, consumer trends, and more importantly, featured an exploding head. It’s worth having yourself a little refresher if you’ve got 15 minutes to spare.

If you liked that, you’ll be pleased to know that the Devolver will be at E3 again this year with another “big fancy press conference.” The publisher shared the news in a tweet, adding, “apologies in advance,” so fingers crossed they’re plotting something equally devilish for this year.

Last year’s conference didn’t actually feature any new titles, so we’ll have to wait and see if that changes this time around.

Devolver Digital’s E3 2018 conference is set for Sunday, June 10 at 8PM PT/ 11PM ET. That’s Monday, June 11 at 4AM in the UK.

Zaxxon
Staff member

Zaxxon

Anthem didn't excite me at all.

Seems like a poor cross between Warframe and Titanfall

I thought it was a pretty poor showing by EA this year. FIFA 19 doesn't look like it has changed too much in the past few years unless the Champions League is your thing, Battlefield is just getting a different war and I suppose a lot of people will like a battle royale mode. Not really convinced by either yet but that may change.
Anthem didn't excite me at all.
Looks like another Destiny to me, so no thanks I won't bother.

Electronic Arts kicked off E3 2018 with its EA Play conference, announcing some exciting new games and debuting fresh trailers.

We learned more about games like Battlefield 5, Anthem, FIFA 19 and Madden NFL 19, and also saw first footage from new games like Unravel 2.

Here are the most exciting announcements from EA’s E3 2018 conference.

An in-depth look at BioWare’s Anthem (see the official cinematic trailer in post #7 above)

Anthem is BioWare’s next big game, and the game’s story received an in-depth look from the developer today. That includes a new trailer, seen above.

The game is described as a “living-share mode,” which means that everyone who’s playing Anthem is seeing the same thing. Players go out on missions and then return to their home bases, where they can turn in their rewards, talk to other players and deal with the consequences of their actions, according to the development team.

Storms, gigantic monsters and other external forces will threaten players, which is why they’ll have to wear special exosuits called javelins. Players will play as a Freelancer, piloting these giant suits, who will face off against their enemies called the Dominion. There are four different javelins, and each javelin will allow players to experience the game in different ways.

Anthem is being designed to provide players with new experiences for years to come, meaning that lore will be a big part of Anthem’s appeal. This should please Mass Effect fans who are looking for a new, futuristic game to sink their teeth into.

Anthem will be released Feb. 22, 2019, on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One.

Battle Royale mode confirmed for Battlefield 5

It should come as no surprise that EA is following the biggest trend in gaming this year by introducing a battle royale mode to Battlefield 5. The mode was rumoured during Battlefield 5’s reveal a couple of weeks ago, but developer DICE didn’t comment. Today, however, the developer said Battlefield 5’s battle royale mode is “reimagined with the core pillars of destruction, team play, and vehicles,” according to a tweet from the game’s official account. “It will be unlike anything you’ve played before, and we’ll have more to talk about later this year.”

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order announced

A new Star Wars game is headed your way. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order takes place between Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope.

Respawn Entertainment co-founder Vince Zampella said the game takes place during a “dark period” and, based on the name of the game, it will allow players to explore this turbulent setting as Jedi.

There’s no trailer or footage to show just yet, but Zampella said the game is expected to be released holiday 2019.

Unravel 2 announced — play it now!

Yarny is back! Everyone’s favourite adorable, yarn-made character is returning with Unravel 2.

View media item 48
The platformer is a follow up to 2016’s first entry in the series and will build on the cute aesthetic that made the first one so beloved in the first place.

Unravel 2 is available to play now PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC.

UEFA Champions League comes to FIFA 19

One of the biggest soccer leagues in the world, the UEFA Champions League, is officially coming to FIFA 19.

EA announced the new mode with a trailer, which can be seen below.

View media item 49
“There’s two iconic trophies that every young person dreams of winning, and for your club, it’s this one,” producer Aaron McHardy said during the presentation, before showing the World Cup trophy.

The team also announced that a free trial of FIFA 18 including the free 2018 World Cup add-on is available right now for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC.

Sea of Solitude gets a beautiful new trailer

Sea of Solitude was first announced as an EA Originals title in 2016 and, since then, the team has taken its time to create what looks like a stunning game.

View media item 50
A new trailer for Sea of Solitude aired during the conference today, and easily bumped into this author’s most anticipated games of early 2019.

The game is being developed as part of the EA Originals branch for independent titles.

Apparently, Microsoft has 15 world premieres to announce tonight. That's quite a few, besides Halo, Gears of War and Crackdown I wonder how many will be third-party games and how many will be exclusives.