Football General Premier League 2018/19 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

  • Created By Thread starter Major Tom

Before we know we will be in August and the football season will be ready to kick off again.

Confirmed TV games for Aust/September on Sky Sports and BT Sports.

Friday, 10 August
20:00 Man Utd v Leicester (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 11 August
12:30 Newcastle v Spurs (Sky Sports)
17:30 Wolves v Everton (BT Sport)

Sunday, 12 August
13:30 Liverpool v West Ham (Sky Sports)
16:00 Arsenal v Man City (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 18 August
12:30 Cardiff v Newcastle (Sky Sports)
17:30 Chelsea v Arsenal (BT Sport)

Sunday, 19 August
13:30 Man City v Huddersfield (Sky Sports)
16:00 Brighton v Man Utd (Sky Sports)

Monday, 20 August
20:00 Crystal Palace v Liverpool (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 25 August
12:30 Wolves v Man City (Sky Sports)
17:30 Liverpool v Brighton (BT Sport)

Sunday, 26 August
13:30 Watford v Crystal Palace (Sky Sports)
16:00 Newcastle v Chelsea (Sky Sports)

Monday, 27 August
20:00 Man Utd v Spurs (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 1 September
12:30 Leicester v Liverpool (Sky Sports)
17:30 Man City v Newcastle (BT Sport)

Sunday, 2 September
13:30 Cardiff v Arsenal (Sky Sports)
16:00 Watford v Spurs (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 15 September
12:30 Spurs v Liverpool (Sky Sports)
17:30 Watford v Man Utd (BT Sport)

Sunday, 16 September
13:30 Wolves v Burnley (Sky Sports)
16:00 Everton v West Ham (Sky Sports)

Monday, 17 September
20:00 Southampton v Brighton (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 22 September
12:30 Fulham v Watford (Sky Sports)
17:30 Brighton v Spurs (BT Sport)

Sunday, 23 September
13:30 West Ham v Chelsea (Sky Sports)
16:00 Arsenal v Everton (Sky Sports)

Saturday, 29 September
12:30 West Ham v Man Utd (BT Sport)
17:30 Chelsea v Liverpool (BT Sport)

Sunday, 30 September
16:00 Cardiff v Burnley (Sky Sports)

Monday, 1 October
20:00 AFC Bournemouth v Crystal Palace (Sky Sports)

News coming out of Sky Sports Italy that Antonio Conte is no longer the head coach of Chelsea.

It is shocking how Chelsea treat their managers, win the Premier League one season and you're almost guaranteed the sack if you don't repeat or improve upon that the next season.

Good luck Conte wherever you end up next.

News coming out of Sky Sports Italy that Antonio Conte is no longer the head coach of Chelsea.
Official now that Conte is gone.

Official now that Conte is gone.
Maurizio Sarri has agreed a deal to become Chelsea head coach, with Gianfranco Zola as his assistant, according to Sky in Italy.

I cannot say I know much about Sarri but Napoli have been performing well for the last 3 seasons, finishing runners-up twice and third once in Serie A.

I reckon City will retain it easily again, they're far too good.

Its between Man Utd, Liverool and Spurs for 2nd - 4th IMO.

Chelsea and Arsenal will need big seasons to get back into the top 4.

Maybe Spurs are the weakest link in the top 4 but its impossible to guess really, if Chelsea lose Hazard and Courtois, I'd say their best hope of Champions League football is winning the Europa League.

Hopefully more of a competition this year.

Man City have signed Mahrez but they already have so many attacking options that you could argue that it doesn't really strengthen them whereas Liverpool have replaced their weakest player and added a bit more guile to a midfield that was a bit pedestrian compared to their front players but will Salah have a season like last year and what happens if Van Dijk gets injured and they have to rely on Lovern and an injury prone Matip?

Man Utd hasn't added much, I'd imagine they will spend big now that the World Cup is over and the transfer deadline only a few weeks away.

Spurs haven't lost anyone (yet) nor added anyone. Surprisingly Levy has allowed Alderweireld and Dembele run down their contracts and they could be a fly in the ointment for team spirit if they start agitating for moves or do a Sanchez and disappear over the horizon in January. The move to the new ground plus Kane and Pochettino signing long-term contracts should be a boost though and I expect Spurs to make a Champions League spot again if their start isn't a complete disaster (World Cup hangovers, no home games, Kane misfiring again in August). Even without signings, they have more strength in depth than most teams bar Man City.

Chelsea is likely to be weaker on the pitch but stronger off it and Arsenal doesn't look like they added enough quality signings to lift them the 20 points or more they will need to challenge.

If Chelsea loses Hazard, the top four will definitely be City / Liverpool / Spurs / Utd.

Winning is between Man City and Liverpool. I have a sneaking suspicion that World Cup hangovers and being runaway champions will hit City more than Liverpool and City will be more concentrated on the Champions League. On balance I would make Liverpool slight favourites to build an early lead and pip a late-charging City :D (I can dream!!)

I'd fancy City to win the league again. As for the rest, we'll have a better idea when the transfer window SLAMS SHUT - we've not really had the ripple effect of the Ronaldo transfer yet - some clubs could be losing a top player or two!

Chelsea is likely to be weaker on the pitch but stronger off it and Arsenal doesn't look like they added enough quality signings to lift them the 20 points or more they will need to challenge.
Chelsea has such a bloated squad in some positions that they probably could push 4/5 players to the door and see no negative impact whatsoever.

Danny Drinkwater (and that will be a struggle if Chelsea are hoping to recoup their outlay), Ross Barkley and David Luiz (I genuinely thought he had left last season) for a start but it's hard to see Hector, Kalas, Miazga, Omeruo, Zouma, Piazon, Van Ginkel or Abraham making an impact this season.

Granted, that second group is likely to be loaned out but it's a really overstocked squad at present.

If Sarri switches to 4-3-3, you'd wonder for a few players too - Victor Moses doesn't have an obvious role in that system, for example.

There's more than enough talent in the squad to compete at the top end of the league but it does seem a little unfocused in terms of signings and sales the last season or two and pulling, say, Courtois and Willian or Hazard out (as has been rumoured) with just a few weeks to find replacements could be tricky.

That or they'll just unveil £200 million of talent in one presser on Friday, adding that Morata and the above lot have all been sold.

After watching the Community Shield today I'd say Man City are most definitely going to be the team to beat again this season. They look tuned in and ready to go.

Chelsea has a lot of work to do and must hope that they still have their key players at the end of the transfer window and that they can also bring a few new players in.