WE ARE FORUM BANTER!!!
Talk about the things that matter to you!!
Howdy stranger!! It looks like you're new here.
If you want to get involved, click on the button below!
Join The Conversation

Football General Premier League 2018/19 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

• Created By Thread starter Major Tom
  • ( Start date , 95 Replies)

David76
Staff member

David76

Today, 20:41
Apr 7, 2018
Man United come back to win 3-2 with a late goal by substitute Alexis Sanchez.

Decent game of football and in all honesty once they scored one I fully expected Man United to go on and win the game. Newcastle are a poor team.

Instead of Mourinho getting the sack it could well be Benitez who is out of a job (though that would be unfair)
Newcastle haven't won this season, they had 2 points from 7 games before tonight.

United haven't beaten a good team here, it's hardly a shock that Newcastle fell apart and couldn't close it out in fairness.

But I do wonder has Mourinho earned himself a bit more time with that win? Of course they now have to finally play some actual good teams in the coming weeks.

Jason
Staff member

Jason

May 9, 2018
Good win for Arsenal. Ramsey's goal was a thing of beauty - a goal of the season contender for the build up and execution.

If Fulham end up in relegation trouble it will be their defence that puts them there. It's terrible.

Birdman
Staff member

Birdman

Apr 20, 2018
Shocking penalty miss by Mahrez!

Major Tom
Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member

Major Tom

Apr 1, 2018
Another average performance by Liverpool following the poor display midweek against Napoli.

I read that Jurgen Klopp says his team needs a rest - they are only 8 or 9 weeks into the season!! I find that disappointing, surely they should be able to play 6 or 7 games in a 3-week spell!

David76
Staff member

David76

Apr 7, 2018
The Mirror (I know, I know) are reporting that Rafa Benitez has the next three games to save his job and they are looking to bring Brendan Rodgers in to replace him if he's sacked.

Rodgers would be mad to take that, it's a poisoned chalice.

Geezer
Staff member

Geezer

Apr 16, 2018
The Mirror (I know, I know) are reporting that Rafa Benitez has the next three games to save his job and they are looking to bring Brendan Rodgers in to replace him if he's sacked.

Rodgers would be mad to take that, it's a poisoned chalice.
I'm always sceptical about these stories about Rafa getting sacked. The tabloids (it may have actually been the Mirror) were reporting during the Summer that he was owed a €6m pay off if he was let go and I just don't see Ashley paying that off, then paying what is likely to be a sizable buyout clause for Rodgers then, too.

On Newcastle, though. Obviously, the whole situation is a total mess behind the scenes but I think they will bounce up quite quickly now that they've gotten through a pretty sticky run of games. They've got the likes of Brighton, Southampton and Watford coming up so you'd expect 4-6 points from those games and they could start moving on up.

Rafa seems totally immune to criticism there though and I'm not sure that's totally fair either. As much respect as I have for the man, just take a look at Mitrovic for Fulham and realise how easy a fix that was to Newcastle's striking issues. Instead, they've Joselu. Clashing with the likes of Lascelles and Shelvey won't help him either.

He hasn't been supported in the market but I feel like he also hasn't done himself enough of a favour with what he has at his disposal. Ashley is entirely responsible for the malaise at the club for sure but Rafa might be able to engineer slightly more from what is a fine group of footballers - is his group any worse than, say, Bournemouth or Brighton? It's a hell of a sight better than Southampton, Huddersfield and Cardiff at the very least.

Bandit
Staff member Staff member

Bandit

Apr 3, 2018
Great start by Man City in their match with Tottenham. Riyad Mahrez scoring after 6 minutes.

Birdman
Staff member

Birdman

Apr 20, 2018
The Wembley pitch didn't look great watching the Spurs vs Man City game. I mean it's had two NFL games on it in two weeks and I'm seeing the usual stuff on Twitter about the NFL and how they are ruining the pitch at Wembley etc. Am I right in thinking that Spurs were meant to have moved into their new stadium by now?

Boozy
Staff member Staff member

Boozy

Apr 6, 2018
Kevin De Bruyne is out injured again for another 5 or 6 weeks after injuring ligaments in his left knee in a Carabao Cup on Thursday.

Major Tom
Staff member Staff member Staff member Staff member

Major Tom

Apr 1, 2018
Kevin De Bruyne is out injured again for another 5 or 6 weeks after injuring ligaments in his left knee in a Carabao Cup on Thursday.
It shouldn't hurt City too much considering the quality they have in reserve but they'll naturally miss him in the biggest game, the Manchester derby and he could be out of two CL games, home to Shakhtar and away to Lyon.

Create an account or login for full access

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Posts

New Threads