Connie
Staff member

Connie

What is a genuinely good movie that has gone under the radar or very few people have seen?

Margin Call.

Follows the key people at an investment bank, over a 24-hour period, during the early stages of the 2008 financial crisis.

Starring: Kevin Spacey, Paul Bettany, Jeremy Irons, Simon Baker, Demi Moore, Stanley Tucci.

Gromit
Staff member

Gromit

Today, 21:43
Jun 26, 2018
Not sure if it went under the radar but a recent one not many have seen is Prisoners.

CaptainObvious
Staff member

CaptainObvious

Dead Man's Shoes. Brilliant film. Paddy Considine is amazing.

OK, it's hardly an unknown film but I think Carlito's Way could fit in this category. It's a genuinely outstanding film - anyone I know who's seen it loves it, but a lot of people seem to be unaware of it. For me, it's right up there with the Goodfellas etc but doesn't have nearly as much "reputation".

The Proposition - Australian western written by Nick Cave with Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, Danny Huston Emily Watson.

Don't think this made too many waves at the time, remember watching in cinema and loving the atmospheric cinematography and sparse dialogue.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421238/

OK, it's hardly an unknown film but I think Carlito's Way could fit in this category. It's a genuinely outstanding film - anyone I know who's seen it loves it, but a lot of people seem to be unaware of it. For me, it's right up there with the Goodfellas etc but doesn't have nearly as much "reputation".
Don't think it was underrated as such. Not perfect but still an excellent tale of greed, betrayal and thwarted dreams.

Locke is worth a look. Set entirely in a car journey at night with Tom Hardy constantly on the phone trying to remain composed and hold various strands together.

Janey
Staff member

Janey

Chopper - Story of Mark "Chopper" Read based on his book "From The Inside", starring Eric Bana.

Cherub
Staff member

Cherub

Birmingham
Chopper - Story of Mark "Chopper" Read based on his book "From The Inside", starring Eric Bana.
+1 for Chopper. Eric Bana does a fantastic job portraying him. I had the DVD years ago and they interviewed Read for the DVD extras.