House of Lords (1 Viewer)

Whats the point of the House of Lords?

I've just read that Theresa May is going to create 10 more Tory peers to sort out her problems with the House of Lords. Whats the point of the House of Lords if it's that easy to rig?

It's meant to be the debating chamber of the two houses.

Basically, the House of Commons hasn't got the time, nor the inclination, to go into the nitty-gritty of things. House of Lords is meant to do this and, where it deems necessary, come back with measures it thinks should be included/excluded from House of Commons proposed legislation.

It actually does the job very well.

I'm all for the reform of the House of Lords but to scrap it outright is insane.

Anyone who opposes Brexit will understand the importance of a calm "moderating" chamber like the Lords.

I'm all for the reform of the House of Lords but to scrap it outright is insane.

Anyone who opposes Brexit will understand the importance of a calm "moderating" chamber like the Lords.
Necessary evil I think. Idealogically I'm opposed to peerships and - essentially - nepotism, but pragmatically they do a good job.