Israel/Palestine Troubles (1 Viewer)

In the deadliest day of violence in Gaza since the 2014 war, Palestinian officials say Israeli troops have killed 55 people and wounded 2,700.

Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu said his military was acting in self-defence against Gaza's Islamist rulers, Hamas, who he said wanted to destroy Israel.

The Palestinian Authority's leader condemned a "massacre". The UN spoke of "outrageous human rights violations".

The violence came as the US opened a controversial embassy in Jerusalem.

The move of the US embassy from Tel Aviv has incensed Palestinians, who claim eastern Jerusalem as the capital of a future Palestinian state.

They see the US move as backing Israeli control over the whole of the city, which Israel regards as its indivisible capital.

I am becoming increasingly staggered by the lack of response and the lack of call for restraint. The world was ready to bomb Syria to oblivion just the other week over their attacks on civilians. We were outraged over that but deathly silent over this.

There's rights and wrongs on both sides and this is just going to escalate way out of control and risk dragging other countries into the mire. The UN must act swiftly here and all parties must come to the negotiating table before this gets any worse.

I cannot stand Benjamin Netanyahu. There is basically no justification for what has happened today.

I don't know very much about Israel and Palestine and the conflict but from the little I have read I get the overriding feeling it is a bunch religious fanatics fighting and the West are on the side of the rich ones!

From what I've read and heard about yesterday's massacre there was 3 Palestinians shot trying to plant a bomb? If so, I have no problem with that. But firing into a crowd of people and leaving many dead and hundreds with bullet wounds seems the wrong way to go about it.

The IDF seems to have no problem routinely shooting into crowds and there is no fallout from it - it is like people are scared to criticise Israel.

The violence came as the US opened a controversial embassy in Jerusalem.
Moving it into East Jerusalem is a shocker. Total and utter provocation. But it wasn't the sole reason for events yesterday. Today could possible see worse violence and clashes.

Moving it into East Jerusalem is a shocker. Total and utter provocation.
That was Trump and Netanyahu having a big dick waving contest and showing the world how great they are! We all knew this would happen. A lot of Israelis are against the move because they realise that they are now in danger!

Hamas have previous for telling protesters to die for 'the cause' and the protesters weren't dispersing when tear gas was fired BUT the Israelis should have used restrain. They could have broken up any protests without using armed force. We all know Hamas like to use dirty tricks and I don't believe for one second that the Israelis would fall for them or didn't know that the situation would have been this bad. The Israelis had planned to use heavy-handed tactics regardless of how the protests. They could have easily avoided this.

Hamas have previous for telling protesters to die for 'the cause' and the protesters weren't dispersing when tear gas was fired BUT the Israelis should have used restrain. They could have broken up any protests without using armed force. We all know Hamas like to use dirty tricks and I don't believe for one second that the Israelis would fall for them or didn't know that the situation would have been this bad. The Israelis had planned to use heavy-handed tactics regardless of how the protests. They could have easily avoided this.
I'm no fan of Hamas and am well aware of their tactics but for the Israelis to try and rid themselves of any responsibility is just wrong.

Absolutely disgusting, watched an interview with some ultra Jewish chap earlier that said there were no Palestinians, just Arabs - Palestinians apparently don't exist! Why the fook is everyone just letting them get away with this, well I think I know the reason but won't say.....

Jason
Staff member

Jason

Absolutely disgusting, watched an interview with some ultra Jewish chap earlier that said there were no Palestinians, just Arabs - Palestinians apparently don't exist! Why the fook is everyone just letting them get away with this, well I think I know the reason but won't say.....
Its possible to force through a peace deal based on a 2 state solution with Jerusalem split East-West.

I was listening to a discussion on Radio 5 yesterday where they had 2 moderate young men on the line - 1 Israeli the other Palestinian. According to the guy from Israel, there is more than 50% of the Israeli population who would like to see a peace deal. Likewise, the Palestinian saying that most even in Gaza would take a far more moderate view than the Hamas extreme few.

For it to happen there needs to be a big international pressure. With such pressure and a more middle ground Israeli leadership, this could be achieved. Likewise, the Palestinians need to unite behind Fatah.

I confess I cannot see this for a few years - especially now given the US actions with the embassy situation.