Recipe Kale and Cauliflower Cheese (2 Viewers)

Janey
Staff member

Janey

Serves
6
Preparation Time
5 mins
Cooking Time
40 mins
Calories per serving
336
Category
Side Dish, Vegetarian, Healthy
Ingredients

1 cauliflower, cut into florets
150g (5oz) kale
50g butter
50g plain flour
2 tsp mustard powder
500ml (17fl oz) milk
100g (3 1/2oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
75g Manchego cheese, grated
50g vegetarian hard cheese, grated
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Method
  1. Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the cauliflower for 10 minutes. Add the kale to the top of the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes, then drain well and set aside.
  2. Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220ºC, fan 200ºC. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan, then add the flour and cook over a low heat for 1 minute, stirring continually. Add the mustard powder, stir and remove from the heat. Gradually add the milk a little at a time, stirring well to beat out any lumps.
  3. Return to the heat and bring to a simmer, stirring all the time. Once bubbling, cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
  4. Stir in 2/3 of the Cheddar, half of the Manchego and half of the vegetarian hard cheese and beat well. Add the mustard and pepper and beat again. Add the drained cauliflower and kale to the sauce and toss well to coat. Transfer to a 2 pint gratin dish.
  5. Mix the remaining cheeses together and scatter over the top. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and cooked through. Serve with roast chicken or gammon as a delicious side dish.

Attachments

Oh, this sounds delish!

Can I buy Manchego cheese (never heard of it!) in any supermarket or do I need to go to a deli?

Janey
Staff member

Janey

Oh, this sounds delish!

Can I buy Manchego cheese (never heard of it!) in any supermarket or do I need to go to a deli?
It's a Spanish cheese, you should be able to buy it anywhere. I've bought it in both Aldi (approx £2) and Tesco (£3.50-ish).

Thanks lovely.

I was actually thinking about making broccoli and cauliflower cheese but I'll try this instead

Shelby81
Staff member

Shelby81

Love the sound of this, would be a perfect side dish for a gammon joint.