Korea Summit (1 Viewer)

Very symbolic meeting between Kim Jong Un and Moon Jae-In as they meet for the peace summit. All looks very good natured and making huge use of Korean symbolism to demonstrate unity between the 2 countries.

Kim Jong Un absolutely revelling in the publicity and platform this is giving to him and his country.

The shots of the motorcade crossing the bridge bordering the 2 countries with helicopters flying overhead were very impressive.

Never thought this would happen. Even if the meeting produces no real progress, it's a step in the right direction.

Shelby81
Staff member

Shelby81

Third time these meetings have happened in 18 years. Nothing achieved yet.

The north had a massive tunnel collapse at their nuke test site that killed hundreds of engineers. They have no hand left to play.

Kim Jong Un absolutely revelling in the publicity and platform this is giving to him and his country.
All those spouting that North Korea was a foreign policy victory for Donald Trump already, that he had scared North Korea into "submission" and twerping on about Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize are looking a little sillier this morning as North Korea threatens to cancel the Trump summit.

The North is going to squeeze this process to get everything it can on its own terms. This talk of a unilateral surrender to the US was delusional bullshit as usual based on not a shred of understanding of North Korea’s foreign policy.

The meeting will probably still happen, but people need to realize it's not all "good will" as you think and they are gaming the US pretty well.

North Korea cancelled today's meeting with South Korea due to military exercises that South Korea partook in with the United States. This in turn has led to them threatening to cancel the summit with President Trump.

If Trump's administration had any kind of diplomacy nous they'd probably have put things like military exercises on hold until talks were had.

It's not like North Korea hasn't reacted to these exercises before :rolleyes:

Zidane
Staff member

Zidane

North Korea will never de-nuclearise. That would be incredibly stupid of the regime. If the US objective is to remove the North Korean nukes, then the talks are failed before they begin. The objective should only be to de-escalate the tensions and integrate the regime into the wider world to build interdependence so that Korea stops being a potential trigger for a nuclear war, and permit the demilitarisation of the peninsula. That is the only rational objective.

Negotiations are going backwards. Getting North Korea to actually give up its nuclear weapons and submit to stringent checks would be an incredible achievement.

I0ThousandFists
Staff member

I0ThousandFists

All those spouting that North Korea was a foreign policy victory for Donald Trump already, that he had scared North Korea into "submission" and twerping on about Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize are looking a little sillier this morning as North Korea threatens to cancel the Trump summit.
It's not over yet. Very far from the point of calling anyone "silly". I personally can't recall the last time the North even "agreed" to meet with the US. Even a handshake agreement, on paper, through email, via text... etc. No one is looking "sillier". I realize most are quick triggered to bash those that support President Trump as well as him and the administration, and understand the frustrations they must have over him constantly doing things that seemed to be unable to get accomplished in the previous administrations.. but hey, at least he's attempting to get things done. The others? .... crickets....

The meeting will probably still happen, but people need to realize it's not all "good will" as you think and they are gaming the US pretty well.
Gaming the US? Hahahahaha. That's amusing. They can't game the US. They are the ones that have everything to lose.

The North is going to squeeze this process to get everything it can on its own terms. This talk of a unilateral surrender to the US was delusional bullshit as usual based on not a shred of understanding of North Korea’s foreign policy.
You're right... I'm sure the US had people there that have absolutely no idea about NK's foreign policy. Yeah, that's likely it....

As for getting everything on their own terms? How. With what bargaining chip? Their "nukes"... lol. Okay.

If Trump's administration had any kind of diplomacy nous they'd probably have put things like military exercises on hold until talks were had.

It's not like North Korea hasn't reacted to these exercises before :rolleyes:
It was a planned exercise. Why change what we normally do, have planned, and have put millions of dollars into? NK KNEW before the exercises they were going to happen, even after agreeing to meet. It's not like this just was a overnight decision to have the training. These things are set in advance.

North Korea will never de-nuclearise. That would be incredibly stupid of the regime.
Hahahahahahaha. That is completely wrong. They have zero chance against any nation they would attempt to go to war with. Those nukes don't scare anyone. Rocket Man, maybe. His weapons... hahahahaahaha.

He's allowing his people to die, to live like rats. Drop the nukes, drop the weapons, NK has a chance to prosper. Refuse, continue to live in the gutter.

Getting North Korea to actually give up its nuclear weapons and submit to stringent checks would be an incredible achievement.
It'll happen.

True, this is new territory. I'm sure Bill Clinton was close to arranging a meeting and sent his Secretary of State to Pyongyang - this resulted in the release of detained America hostages too - but nothing developed and the proposed meeting never materialised due to North Korea's unwillingness to give up their nuclear missiles.

North Korea is playing their usual game, the hint of concessions, then a full-blown tantrum in the run-up to the annual joint US-South Korea military exercises.

Hahahahahahaha. That is completely wrong. They have zero chance against any nation they would attempt to go to war with. Those nukes don't scare anyone. Rocket Man, maybe. His weapons... hahahahaahaha.
As above, they are very reluctant to give up their missiles. In the past, they have agreed to stop developing them, stop selling missiles but not give up their missiles. The nukes are Kim's ace card, it doesn't matter how effective those missiles are he's not giving them up.

He's allowing his people to die, to live like rats. Drop the nukes, drop the weapons, NK has a chance to prosper. Refuse, continue to live in the gutter.
Kim Jung Un, like his father before him, doesn't care less about the North Korean people and how they live.

If you read the North Korean statement both sides don't agree on what should happen.

NK foreign minister statement.

White House national security adviser, are letting loose the assertions of so-called Libya mode of nuclear abandonment, ‘complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization,’ ‘total decommissioning of nuclear weapons, missiles, biochemical weapons.’ etc., while talking about formula of ‘abandoning nuclear weapons first, compensating afterwards.'”

“I cannot suppress indignation at such moves of the U.S., and harbor doubt that the U.S. sincerity for improved DPRK-U.S. relations through sound dialogue and negotiations,” he added.

World knows too well that our country is neither Libya nor Iraq which have met miserable fate,” the statement said.

“We shed light on the quality of Bolton already in the past and we do not hide our feeling of repugnance towards him,” he explained.
If Trump willing to ease sanctions and stop military exercises and provide aid before denuclearization maybe they can work out a deal?

I realize most are quick triggered to bash those that support President Trump as well as him and the administration, and understand the frustrations they must have over him constantly doing things that seemed to be unable to get accomplished in the previous administrations.
I not bashing Trump. I just comment on news snippets and events that I find interesting or unbelievable (take your pick). I say it the way I see it - without all the media and so-called fake news. Just like Trump supporters will quickly move to quash anything negative.

It was a planned exercise. Why change what we normally do, have planned, and have put millions of dollars into? NK KNEW before the exercises they were going to happen, even after agreeing to meet. It's not like this just was a overnight decision to have the training. These things are set in advance.
A smart move would have been to postpone any military exercises and probably hold-off from any commentaries like the ones by John Bolton that can, and have, damaged any potential meeting and negotiations.

An even smarter move would have been to negotiate a deal with North Korea before pulling out of the Iran deal.