Xbox/Microsoft Sea of Thieves (1 Viewer)

  • Created By Thread starter Major Tom

Sea of Thieves is a shared world action-adventure video game developed by Rare and published by Microsoft Studios for Microsoft Windows 10 and Xbox One. The game allows players to take the role of a pirate, sailing the seas of a fantastical world either solo or as part of a crew of up to four players. The game features both co-operative and player versus player combat. It was released worldwide on 20 March 2018.
The first content update for Sea of Thieves will arrive in early May, and five more are planned for release this year.

Rare announced today the first content update for Sea of Thieves will be called The Hungering Deep.

It is slated to arrive in May, and five more content updates are in the plan for 2018. Two are planned for this summer and will include a new ship, new part of the map, additional enemies, mechanics, and rewards.

The other three content updates are planned to arrive before the end of 2018.

Alongside regular content updates, Sea of Thieves players can expect weekly events featuring various goals and new mechanics.

When it releases in early May, The Hungering Deep will feature a new enemy which crews will need to discover and defeat as part of a unique event.

It will also introduce a number of new mechanics to aid players taking part in the adventure, and of course, there will be new rewards.

“We’ve been listening closely to our community, and we know how keen they are to hear how we plan to grow Sea of Thieves,” said Sea of Thieves executive producer Joe Neate.

“As we’ve always said, the launch is just the start for Sea of Thieves, and we are going to grow and evolve the game with feedback from our community.”

The studio discusses its content plans in depth in the developer video below.

View media item 8
Here’s a breakdown of what Rare discussed in the video:

Regular content updates and weekly events
  • Content updates will add major new features alongside new items & mechanics, with new goals and rewards.
  • Weekly events will introduce new mechanics, or see fun goals for players to achieve in the world.
The Hungering Deep – first content update coming in early May
  • The Hungering Deep brings a new AI threat to the world, that crews will have to work together to discover and defeat as part of a unique event. It will also introduce a number of new mechanics that will assist players on this adventure, and there will be unique rewards that players can earn as part of this event.
Five more content updates for 2018
  • This summer will see the debut of Cursed Sails, which will include a new ship type, and Forsaken Shores, which will introduce players to a new perilous part of the world to explore. Similar to The Hungering Deep, both of these updates will also include new gameplay mechanics for players, new AI threats to challenge and new unique rewards to claim.
  • Content plans will continue to grow and evolve, based on feedback from players. Based on feedback since launch, Rare changed the priorities for both Pets and Ship Captaincy which had been previously announced as things to add in the few months after launch. These are on the backburner for now while things are added to the game in other areas. Expect plans to continue to be fluid but always with the goals listed above as a guiding principle.
All of the aforementioned content will be available to Sea of Thieves players at no additional cost.

In the wake of Hungering Deep, Sea of Thieves will feature not one, but two expansions.

Sea of Thieves may have only launched in March, but Rare is clearly committed to new content. During its E3 presser, Microsoft announced two unique expansions that are slated to arrive this summer.

View media item 55
In a new, appropriately tongue-in-cheek trailer, a fortune teller teases new information to the player. Among the details are new lands to explore, undead ship crews to fight, and – of course – booty to loot.

Sea of Thieves: Cursed Sails arrives in July. Forsaken Shores will launch in August.