Drama The Alienist (1 Viewer)

5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: The Alienist

Genre: Drama

First aired: 2018-01-22

Creator: Cary Fukunaga

Cast: Luke Evans, Dakota Fanning, Daniel Brühl, Martin McCreadie, Douglas Smith, David Wilmot

Overview: Crime reporter, John Moore, meets with psychologist, Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, to investigate a serial killer in New York during the late 19th century.

I thought this was excellent, grim but intelligent and gripping with really good characters. I think it's my favourite show of the year so far.

Zidane
Staff member

Zidane

I finished the Alienist last night and, I must say, I really didn't want it to finish.

The casting is top notch. Daniel Brühl is a brilliant Kreizler. I read the books years ago and thought there is no way they will get the depth, the darkness, the edgy historical feel of 1890s New York. They came very close. Hope they make more with the same quality and depth.

I would recommend the books too, really good.

Zaxxon
Staff member

Zaxxon

While the production was great, and the cast were good, I felt the story was weak and got weaker towards the end. Pity, there was a lot of promise there. Maybe a second season could develop it further.

Love the setting, that Knick / Gangs of New York kind of vibe.