Drama The Deuce (1 Viewer)

Title: The Deuce

Genre: Drama

First aired: 2017-09-10

Creator: George Pelecanos, David Simon

Cast: James Franco, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Margarita Levieva, Lawrence Gilliard Jr., Dominique Fishback

Overview: The story of the legalization and subsequent rise of the porn industry in New York’s Times Square from the early ’70s through the mid ’80s, exploring the rough-and-tumble world that existed there until the rise of HIV, the violence of the cocaine epidemic and the renewed real estate market ended the bawdy turbulence of the area.

Season 2 starts 9th September on HBO, no word yet from Sky Atlantic on a UK airdate but it could be soon after US transmission.

Gromit
Staff member

Gromit

Today, 09:49
Jun 26, 2018
Great show. I think if this gets a fair run like 5 seasons it will go down as a classic.

Great show. I think if this gets a fair run like 5 seasons it will go down as a classic.
The Deuce has been renewed for a third and final season.

Jason
Staff member

Jason

How does this compare to The Wire? Thinking of giving it a watch.

How does this compare to The Wire? Thinking of giving it a watch.
Similar style, slow-burning character driven story. Less big dramatic moments than The Wire though

Slenderman
Staff member

Slenderman

Today, 09:49
Nov 3, 2018
It's a great show. One of the best this year.

Lagan
Staff member

Lagan

Today, 09:49
Oct 6, 2018
Loved Season 2 especially the last 2 episodes, the finale was fantastic, got real 'Boogie Nights vibes from the montage at the end showing where each character is going.

I enjoyed Season 2 more than Season 1. In Season 1 I was kind've unsure about what to think about the show, but Season 2 I was fully on board.

The pimps getting killed on the show seem to be a highlight for me. I remember Leon shooting Reggie in Season 1 and how nonchalant he was. He just calls the police and says "I just shot a nig*er, come and get him". Then we got CC and Rodney getting killed in Season 2, both deaths were unexpected and out of nowhere.

I'm not that big into Lawrence Gilliard Jr/Chris Alston's character arc in the show. I just think he's a boring character to be honest and I don't really care about his story. It just doesn't really work for me compared to other characters arcs.