Football The World Cup 2018 Thread (1 Viewer)

Who do you think will win the 2018 FIFA World Cup?

  • Brazil

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Germany

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • France

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Spain

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Argentina

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Belgium

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • England

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Portugal

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uruguay

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russia

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another Team

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    16
  • Poll closed .

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.mehrnews.com%2Fd%2F2017%2F12%2F01%2F4%2F2650955.jpg&hash=c33d6c4b2bbc164ceff1b08f5a3c950d

Not long now until the World Cup gets underway. Some interesting matches in the group stages. Group B has a few local derbies between Portugal, Spain and Morocco. To add more spice Carlos Queiroz is the manger of Iran too. Should be an interesting group.

Can't see the host nation doing anything, they will be lucky to get out of their group. Don't really think any of the African or Asian teams will do anything significant either.

2018-Russia-World-Cup.jpg

Brazil have named their 23-man squad
[TABLE][TR][TH]
Goalkeepers​
[/TH]
[TH]
Defenders​
[/TH]
[TH]
Midfielders​
[/TH]
[TH]
Forwards​
[/TH][/TR]
[TR][TD]
Alisson
[/TD]
[TD]
Thiago Silva
[/TD]
[TD]
Casemiro
[/TD]
[TD]
Neymar
[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]
Cassio
[/TD]
[TD]
Miranda
[/TD]
[TD]
Fred
[/TD]
[TD]
Gabriel Jesus
[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]
Ederson
[/TD]
[TD]
Marquinhos
[/TD]
[TD]
Paulinho
[/TD]
[TD]
Roberto Firmino
[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]

[/TD]
[TD]
Geromel
[/TD]
[TD]
Renato Augusto
[/TD]
[TD]
Douglas Costa
[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]

[/TD]
[TD]
Fagner
[/TD]
[TD]
Fernandinho
[/TD]
[TD]
Taison
[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]

[/TD]
[TD]
Danilo
[/TD]
[TD]
Willian
[/TD]
[TD]

[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]

[/TD]
[TD]
Marcelo
[/TD]
[TD]
Coutinho
[/TD]
[TD]

[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]

[/TD]
[TD]
Filipe Luis
[/TD]
[TD]

[/TD]
[TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Dani Alves misses out due to injury. Biggest surprise amongst the Brazil fans seems to be Taison getting the nod over Sociedad's Willian Jose.

Plenty of big names not taken: Alex Sandro, David Luiz, Fabinho, Allan, Naldo, Luiz Gustavo, Malcom, probably a load more. Goes to show the talent pool they have.

What do we think of the squad taken? Do you feel you're looking at the 2018 World Cup winners? I think it has enough to be right in the mix. I expect Spain, France and Germany will have more depth but if you've around 15 or so top players you've enough to win, and they have that.

Their group E contains Switzerland, Costa Rica and Serbia. Win that and they will likely play Group F runner-up Mexico, Sweden or South Korea in the next round (assuming Germany win Group F). Doesn't look the most taxing pathway to a quarter-final.

Last edited:

That's a fairly strong squad. Their first 11 should be strong enough to reach the latter stages, possibly even the semis. Like so many World Cups before though, I'm not sure they (a South American team) will beat one of the top European teams and European soil though.

Just heard on the radio that Joe Hart has been told he won't be part of the England World Cup squad which is officially announced tomorrow.

What do we think of the squad taken? Do you feel you're looking at the 2018 World Cup winners?
The definitely have a great chance. Some exciting players in the squad as well. The only fear would be will Neymar actually be fully fit.

Laifot
Staff member

Laifot

I'd go with Brazil. They have a good TEAM and also individuals. Nice Strikers and midfielders, none of them are SUPERSTARS like Messi but they have good chances and also they have a duty of regaining the lost honour after taking a shocking loss 1-7 to Germany.

The England squad has been announced, as mentioned no place for Joe Hart and Jack Wilshire also misses out. Surprise inclusions for Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

[TABLE][TR][TH]
Goalkeepers​
[/TH]
[TH]
Defenders​
[/TH]
[TH]
Midfielders​
[/TH]
[TH]
Forwards​
[/TH][/TR]
[TR][TD]
Pickford
[/TD]
[TD]
Alexander-Arnold
[/TD]
[TD]
Henderson
[/TD]
[TD]
Sterling
[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]
Butland
[/TD]
[TD]
Trippier
[/TD]
[TD]
Dier
[/TD]
[TD]
Vardy
[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]
Pope
[/TD]
[TD]
Rose
[/TD]
[TD]
Alli
[/TD]
[TD]
Kane
[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]

[/TD]
[TD]
Maguire
[/TD]
[TD]
Lingard
[/TD]
[TD]
Rashford
[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]

[/TD]
[TD]
Jones
[/TD]
[TD]
Young
[/TD]
[TD]
Welbeck
[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]

[/TD]
[TD]
Stones
[/TD]
[TD]
Delph
[/TD]
[TD]

[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]

[/TD]
[TD]
Walker
[/TD]
[TD]
Loftus-Cheek
[/TD]
[TD]

[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]

[/TD]
[TD]
Cahill
[/TD]
[TD]

[/TD]
[TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Doesn't really fill me with confidence that they can progress deep into the tournament. Right off, the centre of their defence looks like a weak link that could be exposed by pace.

Right off, the centre of their defence looks like a weak link that could be exposed by pace.
Surprised Smalling was dropped and also 3 right backs?

Surprised Smalling was dropped and also 3 right backs?
Southgate had indicated a few months ago that Smalling wasn't doing enough to get selected.

Can't believe he is taking Welbeck? Must be for his England scoring displays as he has done nothing at club level.

Jason
Staff member

Jason

Right off, the centre of their defence looks like a weak link that could be exposed by pace.
The fact Gary Cahill will probably be starting for England tells you all you need to know about the state of their backline.

Henderson, Delph, Dier, or whoever is protecting those CBs will need to be exemplary for them to do anything of note.