What Are You Reading? (1 Viewer)

Janey
Staff member

Janey

Blood River.

A travel book by Tim Butcher, travelling the length of the Congo river.

I never want to go to Congo..so dangerous.

Very well written

The Axemans Jazz. About a serial killer in New Orleans in 1919. Decent.

D Day Through German Eyes - The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944 by Holger Eckhertz.

Interviews with German soliders each of whom defended the 5 landing beaches at Normandy. Basically talking through their experiences from around the 5th into the 6th June.

It's apparent Saving Private Ryan is close if not quite violent enough as to what it was like.

I found it fascinating that the German soliders were surprised at the rage and aggression of the allies soldiers and particularly the British soldiers. The German propaganda had done a good job convincing their troops they were defending Europe.

One German said he was amazed at how the British could be polite and generous one minute and then completely ruthless the next if it was needed.

Fascinating and brilliant read.

It's free to read if you have Amazon Prime.

Recently finished Black Mass. True story of Whitey Bulger and Boston FBI. Very good and in depth.

Might watch the film to see how the two compare.

The Mayan Codex, a sequel to the Nostradamus prophecies, by Mario Reading.

Just at the end of Lisa Gardner's "Look for Me", really enjoying this and I'm liking the twists.

Finished Broken Harbor by Tana French on the plane back from holiday. Another good offering from her. More of a psychological thriller this time then her other earlier books which are more crime dramas.

Finished Broken Harbor by Tana French on the plane back from holiday. Another good offering from her. More of a psychological thriller this time then her other earlier books which are more crime dramas.
I've read this, (or rather Audibled it), along with 2 or 3 of her others. The characters and the way she writes the narrators' voices are always amazing but something's missing, I don't know what.

Got a lend of The President Is Missing by James Patterson/Bill Clinton and made a start last night. Typical Patterson, short chapters easy light read. It will do nicely for a day in the garden sunbathing.

Emma
Staff member

Emma

Just finished Little Fires Everywhere - Celeste Ng. Really enjoyed it.